We know supporting the health and wellbeing of their teams is important to all of our people managers and the brief guides attached to this page have been developed to provide information on good practice related to health and wellbeing.
As line managers you play an important role in supporting your employee’s health and wellbeing through promoting a productive workplace, healthier workforce and supportive environment. Ways in which you can promote employee health and wellbeing include:
- Encourage open and honest communication, support and respect
- Give employees control over their work, lack of control can increase stress.
- Ensure employees have the right level of skills for the job, encourage personal development and mentoring opportunities
- Make sure staff have a manageable workload
- Eliminate any unnecessary environmental stressors such as flickering lights or excessive noise as these can cause anxiety
- Deal with any conflict quickly and effectively and encourage team building.
As a manager you have a legal obligation to make reasonable adjustments for individuals with recognised disabilities. The duty to make reasonable adjustments aims to make sure that, as far as is reasonable, a disabled worker has the same access to everything that is involved in doing and keeping a job as a non-disabled person.